Do you ride your bike in the summer? Do you want to DIY-style hang your bike on your hatchback car? Believe it or not, there is a technique to secure your bike to anything so it does not fall out of your car.
You should invest in a bike rack! A bike rack is a rack used to transport bikes wherever you go. Hatchback automobiles are fantastic since they are ideal for leisure activities.
They also allow their owner to attach a bike rack. How do you install a hatchback/bike rack now that you’ve learned about them? Don’t worry; we’ll take care of it!
How do you mount a bike rack on a hatchback? The bike type and the rack’s configuration determine the technique you choose to install a bike rack.
In general, you must lay the rack on the hatch and then secure it using upper top edge straps linked to the hatch and upper and lower side straps.
Don’t be concerned if you need clarification about your automobile’s height, position, specific procedure, or side you should face upwards while installing the rack. There is no need to look any further.
This article will walk you through the step-by-step process of installing a bike rack onto your car and provide supplementary information on fitting cruisers and kids’ bikes without a top bar.
Our simple-to-read and follow step-by-step tutorial will make installing a bike rack on your hatchback or tiny SUV a breeze. With this, you will be up and running like a pro in no time.
What Type of Bike Rack Is Best for a Hatchback?
There are three main styles of bike carrier racks that are compatible with hatchbacks, SUVs, and 4x4s. This comprises roof mount bike racks, hitch bike racks, and the most well-known trunk mount bike rack.
The hitch and trunk-mounted bike carrier racks are the most frequent types of bike carriers used for SUVs and hatchbacks. However, I like the trunk mount since it can be used with several cars of any size or type and is relatively simple to install.
Concerning permanent solutions, a roof-mounted bicycle rack is the most secure alternative. They hold your bike safe with no effort, but they require a bigger hatchback to utilize.
Regular riders who want to utilize something other than a long-term solution, such as roof mount racks. It goes for hitch-mounted bicycle racks that can be readily disassembled while allowing them to access the trunk. The best aspect is that you can quickly and safely accommodate more than one bike at a time.
With its stowed and folded positions, the rack’s end is adaptable and easy to use.
The trunk-mounted bicycle carrier racks are another option. These are the most common and flexible bike racks I use and suggest to the typical rider.
These are simple to install and fold up quickly. Most of the finest inexpensive bike racks are exclusive of this type since they can be fitted on practically all automobile types and sizes. All you have to do is hang it on the hatch and attach the straps that go through the hatch door.
How to Install a Bike Rack on a Hatchback Vehicle
There are a total of seven steps that must be completed. These are simple to grasp and straightforward to implement. So, here are the seven stages, along with an explanation of what you must do:
- Open the rack into an arc form: The first and most critical step is to open the rack into an arc shape. The shapes differ based on the model. It also depends on the sort of vehicle you have. For SUVs, one end hooks into the back windshield and the other to the trunk floor. However, both ends must be hooked on the car’s rear for coupes and sedans.
- Using Clips: These clips assist in separating the trunk from the rack. Find a location where these clips may be easily installed. Remember to avoid pushing them in, and double-check that you have all clips in before going.
- Strengthen the Straps: To do so, pull each strap until it is tight. If you don’t execute this step correctly, the rack containing your bike might fall off your car, so double-check that the straps are tight enough!
- Test It Out: Now that you’ve attached the clips and tightened the straps, it’s time to put it to the test! Move the rack side to side to complete this stage. The rack should move side to side with the automobile if it is secure. If it is not sufficiently fastened and feels loose, return to the straps and tighten them until it is.
- Putting the Bikes on the Rack: You did it! You mounted the rack on your car! It’s time to get on your bike. Begin by pulling the bike arms up until they lock in place. While on the road, the arms will grip the bike. Locks differ based on the type of bike you have. The bike’s arms should be angled upwards, away from the automobile.
- Fitting It All In Now that you’ve locked the arms, you can put the bike on the rack. Take care not to harm your car or bike. The top section should be placed on top of the rack. The bike’s weight should be distributed evenly. To minimize scratching/damaging automobiles, use a clean towel between the bike and the bike rack.
- Clamp Arms Down On Frame: Remember that this step will vary depending on your model and rack. Once you put your bike in, the strap must be tightened on the frame to secure it. From there, I fastened both arms so the bike would not move. Shake it a little more just to be sure it is fully secured.
There you have it! These are the necessary seven steps to install a rack on your car. There are two other ways for two types of bikes that we want to discuss in this article.
How To Adjust A Woman’s Cruiser
You may need to be aware that over 80% of bike racks (95% for trunk mount racks) on the market today are not built to suit ladies’ bikes with a step-through design.
They are built so that the bike frame’s top tube (not seen on women’s cruisers) rests on the rack’s pads. That is why fitting a female’s bike to a rear-mounted trunk bike rack on your hatchback car will be difficult.
But don’t worry; I’ll explain in layman’s words what I learned from an expert on how to mount a woman cruiser (women’s bike) on a trunk-style bike rack.
If you have a woman’s bike that has to be mounted to the rack, here’s a step-by-step explanation of how to do it using two distinct methods:
Method 1: Without the Use of a Frame Adapter
- Open The Rack: As with the first step in the previous how-to, open the rack. Because there are different racks, opening the one you have will be different. When you open the rack, you will notice several items.
- The rack’s top tubes should be pointing up, and you’ll notice distinct locations where you tighten the bike. Put your bike on once you’ve attached the rack.
- Connecting It to Your Vehicle: Attach the straps once you’ve prepared the rack/bike. Begin with the first strap and work your way down, ensuring it is tight. It is advisable to execute this step with others so that someone can keep the bike in place and it will travel quicker.
- Fenders, lights, baskets, and other fragile bike pieces should be secured. Ensure the straps are not too close to the fragile sections to avoid harm.
You might also use padding to protect certain portions of the bike. These are the three procedures to take while strapping into a woman’s cruiser. There is one more how-to for placing a bike rack on a car.
Method 2: Using a Frame Adapter
It might be challenging to mount a lady’s bike on a bike rack like this if you fail to get the add-on frame adaptor. This is primarily because most ladies’ bikes lack the horizontal crossbar required to properly place the bike on your bike rack.
You might need a top tube adapter. Numerous excellent solutions on the market, such as the “Allen Sports Tension Bar Bicycle Crossbar Adaptor” (available on Amazon), offer excellent value for money.
These bar adapters snap into place fast, producing a temporary top tube. This allows you to put your beach cruiser on the bike rack like you would any other ordinary men’s bike.
Once the crossbar is in place, follow the seven steps outlined above to attach your bike rack to your hatchback and install your bike.
How to Adjust a Child’s Bike Without a Top Bar:
You need a unique tool to fit a child’s bike into a bike rack. The device is known as a bicycle crossbar adaptor. This may be utilized not just for children’s bikes but also for women’s bikes.
The bicycle crossbar adaptor is a bar that clamps into bicycles and allows them to be easily transported.
These attachments are made to fit any bike or bike rack brand where the bikes will be stored. This bar provides bicyclists with four advantages:
- It provides a top tube for standard frames.
- Internal springs hold bikes in place.
- Plastic hooks keep the bike safe.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty on craftsmanship and materials.
The Bottom Line
Installing a rack may appear complicated initially, but by following the seven steps outlined in this article, you won’t have to worry about your bike getting loose and slipping away from your vehicle. However, remember to tighten the straps and shake the bike lightly to ensure it is not loose.
Have fun bicycling!